Friday, April 21, 2006

Gone to the Blogs: Nation Editor Katrina vanden Heuvel's Hit List

There's such a churning Niagara of blogs out there -- I've been keeping an eye out for lists that might serve as a kind of filter. I spotted this list in Tom Engelhardt's 4/21/06 interview with Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor of the Nation. (Read the whole enchilada here.) Engehardt asked vanden Heuvel what she read every day. She said:
"I begin the day by reading from three to five papers. By then I'm already so agitated… [She laughs.] Anyway, I start with the Washington Post, then I do the New York Times, then parts of the Financial Times or the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, and the Guardian. Then I look at the Web. I'll read Tompaine, Commondreams, Romenesko, Tomdispatch, Juan Cole, Alternet, the Huffington Post, James Wolcott's blog, Jay Rosen's PressThink, sometimes Josh Marshall's Talking Points Memo or the Daily Kos... Then I'll write a blog entry, or a short riff for our new magazine blog, the Notion, or something for the Guardian's new blog, Comment Is Free..."

Not very literary. Oh well. Madam Mayo is also quite agitated by the current political situation, but rather than join the political Clogosphere (to borrow a term from my amiga J.R.) she is channeling it into her novel, which is based on a true story in Mexico in 1865-1867. Tres triste. Today, which was March 5, 1866, under attack by insurgents on the highway, one of Madam Mayo's characters got the back of his skull shot off.

I think I'd better stop refering to myself in the third person. This is very wierd.