Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on Sherlock Holmes and Spiritualism

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on archive.org
(this is a screenshot; does not link)
What a rich resource is archive.org! I'm on there almost daily, researching one or another other of my writing projects. Recently I surfed upon a ten minute video on archive.org of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle talking about his novels and-- starting about 5 minutes in-- Spiritualism. It was such fun to watch the rare footage of this long-ago best-selling novelist (I say, that accent is infectious!). Had Francisco I. Madero survived his presidency (alas he took a bullet in the back of head in February 1913), I am quite he would have heartily applauded this chat.

(Speaking of which, book update: My Metaphysical Odyssey into the Mexican Revolution: Francisco I. Madero and His Secret Book, Spiritist Manual, is out in Kindle and still.... ayyy.... still... almost ready for paperback. Any day now, any day. And the Spanish edition, translated by Agustín Cadena as Odisea metafísica hacia la Revolución Mexicana, Francisco I. Madero y su libro secreto, Manual espírita, my editor tells me, will be available in mid-February.)

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was also the author of The History of Spiritualism  (free ebook on archive.org).

More about archive.org and rare books anon.

***UPDATE: A couple of interesting pieces in Lapham's Quarterly:
Miles Klee Sherlock Holmes in Fairyland
A.N. Denver The Father and Son Who Belived in Fairies

COMMENTS