Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Top 10 for the Cinco de Mayo

In commemoration of the Battle of Puebla, herewith the top 10 links to Mexico-related content from Yours Truly:


1. 
For the Marfa Mondays Podcasting project
(Podcast and transcript)





2. 
For the Marfa Mondays Podcast Project
(Podcast and transcript)





3. 
The Last Prince of the Mexican Empire, my novel based on the deeply researched true story of Agustín de Iturbide y Green. It was published on Cinco de Mayo back in (whew) 2009, and was named a Library Journal Best Book of that year. It's also available in Spanish, beautifully translated by Agustín Cadena as El último príncipe del Imperio Mexicano. 

> Q & A (numerous interviews plus a Reader's Guide)

Metaphysical Odyssey into the Mexican Revolution: Francisco I. Madero and His Secret Book, Spiritist Manual. This is my translation and introduction to the secret book by Francisco I. Madero, leader of the 1910 Revolution and
President of Mexico from 1911-1913. Also available in Spanish, my introduction beautifully translated by Agustín Cadena as Odisea metafísica hacia la Revolución Mexicana.

> Why Translate? The Case of the President of Mexico's Secret Book (My talk for the American Literary Translators Conference 2014)

7.
My anthology of 24 Mexican writers, many in translation for the first time.



8.  
Three super crunchy podcasts focusing on Mexico from my Conversations with Other Writers series:








9. 
Three blog posts about visits to unusual sites in Mexico

A Visit to the ex-Hacienda de Chautla
(From the Maximilian and Carlota research blog)


A Visit to Las Pozas, Xilita
(From this blog, Madam Mayo)













Junípero Serra in the Sierra Gorda
(Also from this blog, Madam Mayo)












10. 
A rare English language eyewitness memoir of Maximilian from the Bancroft Library. Edited and introduced by Yours Truly. On the website you can read the chapbook either on the page or as a free formatted PDF download.




Your comments are always welcome.


I also invite you to sign up for my newsletter
which I might get around to sending it out in June. 
It will have podcasts. 




Dreamland by Sam Quinones (review for Literal)