Monday, January 26, 2015

Cyberflanerie: PEN San Miguel, Rachel Laudan, Russia, Stephen Woodman, Textured Chocolates, Barbara Hero

My January 13, 2015 talk for PEN San Miguel in Bellas Artes, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, about my new book, Metaphysical Odyssey into the Mexican Revolution, is now a podcast. >>Listen in here.<<

MORE HISTORY


Food historian Rachel Laudan Takes on Tiny Bubbles


Russia Before the Revolution (in Color)



MORE MEXICO


Stephen Woodman's Mexican Labyrinth: Temazcal Adventure



TEENAGERS & THE YOUNG AT HEART


A Teenager's take on social media

(My reaction: eew. Yes, I have FB, twitter, this blog, a website, a youtube channel and podcast, all in service of and/or as platform for my writing which is, entirely intentionally, public. But the idea of living my personal life so intensely mediated by "social media" just curls my toes. Yeah, I'm old. The thing is, not every innovation is better or for the wise. In my generation, for example, television watching vacuumed up hours, weeks, months, years.... I mean, I don't think that on my death bed I will I celebrate having watched reruns of "Batman"... And cigarette smoking was the fashion, until it wasn't. I remember pet rocks, too. A lot of stupid crap. Well, but most people do what most people do.)

The Hands of Georgia O'Keeffe



TED TALK DU JOUR


Ruth Chang's TED Talk on Hard Choices

(Note to college applicants: this is a must see.)


NEAT BUT KINDA MYSTERIOUS STUFF


Textured Chocolates


Submarine Sandwich


Barbara Hero's Pythagorean Lambdoma Harmonic Keyboard


>>Your COMMENTS are always welcome.